Thursday, July 21, 2011

Running Stuff

People say running is an easy activity to do because you don't need much special equipment.  That said, after running for some time you do accumulate a lot of stuff.  This is what I use the most.

Shoes - I run in Brooks Cascadia shoes.  This is a 'trail' shoe, but I do almost all my running in them.  I think they are very flat, having a low heel even for running shoes. I don't track mileage per pair, but when I've worn down a few of the lugs on the sole to almost nothing I get a new pair.

Shorts - Gotta be a little fashion conscious ... shorts have gotten a little longer since I started running (and I've gotten older).  My favorite shorts are Nike - soft! - but I just found the Brooks Cascadia shorts, which have great pockets for other stuff on long runs.  Lots of shorts have a little pocket for a key or ID card, but these have virtually a small 'cargo' pocket.

pocket stuff - I carry a credit card (a lot of my runs are planned around passing by places I can get something to eat), and a $20 bill for emergencies.  On runs toward the city I carry my metro fare card - it gives me an option to cut a long run short if I run out of gas and just want to get back home.  And I need the key to get back into my house.

water - On runs over an hour I bring water.  I alternate between a handheld bottle, the same bottle carried in a waist pack, and a full-on hydration pack.  My hydration pack is from North Face, and I can also remove the bladder and use it as a light running pack - good for carrying a towel and something to read at the pool.  The packs from Nathan 'Human Propulsion Laboratories' look pretty nice though - I like that they have small pockets for a little accessible storage on the front straps.

gadgets - I run with a Suunto T6C running watch, its heartrate chest strap, and sometimes the shoe pod which enables the watch to show distance and speed.  I use software on a PC (Firstbeat Athlete) that reads the data from the watch and gives me some input on how hard I've really been working (or not) and what I need to do to improve.  Looking at this data and trying to make sense of it all has provided a lot of new insights.  Other gadgets include a flashlight - I use a small 4 x 2AA battery powered light, that is cheap, bright, runs a long time for runs after dark.  I don't mind carrying it in my hand.

misc. - Socks - I like Wrightsocks.  A collection of 'technical' running shirts ... can't wear cotton running shirts anymore.  I like a hat with a visor if it's raining.  Sunglasses and sunscreen.  Occasionally a camera, and an iPod Nano (surprisingly the music only appeals to me on a shorter hard training run, not something long and easy).

I don't carry first aid gear - which would be emergency foot care.  In my experience, I haven't had the need for it  but when you need it you need it.

That seems like a lot of stuff, considering the most fun I have is running light!

No comments:

Post a Comment