Thursday, July 12, 2012

running hot

We've had a string of days with 100'ish temperatures, making long runs hard. With all the heat warnings, people think I must be nuts to be out running. Here is what I think (remember, I'm just a crazy runner, not a doctor).

First, I always wear a heart rate monitor, which I think is a pretty good indicator for how much stress I'm under when running. I can't run long at my usual pace on a very hot day before I see my heart rate going higher than normal, so on hot days I have to run slower to keep my heart rate in the usual range. Even then, when it's really hot I slow down even further and take the heart rate down another 5 beats per minute. Finally, on hot days I just don't run as long or as far.

Bottom line: Keep the pace slow, keep the heart rate low, cut the runs a little shorter.

No comments:

Post a Comment